Through our volunteer program, families and children are given the opportunity to interact with others who serve as role models. Exposure to positive values and situations help them make positive choices on their own lives.
We are proud that we are a certified Service Enterprise organization and one of the first in the Corridor area to receive this certification! With this certification, we are able to utilize our volunteers better, be more adaptable and effective! For more information on how this certification impacts our volunteers, please click here.
We are looking for passionate and reliable volunteers to share their love and enthusiasm for families in our community. Your interests, skills and talents are matched with the opportunity that best fits you!
YPN welcomes and has volunteer opportunities for adults, families, teens, and retirees with a wide variety of interests and abilities. We also work alongside small groups and corporate volunteers for special projects. There are several ways to volunteer with YPN and the opportunities vary from time of day to commitment level to allow flexibility in your schedule.
YPN offers weekly prenatal and parent education groups at Polk Alternative Education Center. We provide transportation, a meal, and on-site childcare for families. this opportunity is available on Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm. Some of the volunteer roles for Group meetings include:
- Serve the evening meal
- Provide on-site childcare for children 0-5 years of age
- Facilitate prenatal, moms, dads, or Hispanic group discussions
- Prepare and/or facilitate parent/child activities
- Assist with YPN quarterly activity nights or other special events
- Speak on a parenting topic of expertise
- Provide funding for a specific YPN activity
We Care Shop
The We Care Shop is an incentive shop where families involved with YPN can purchase items with points earned through participating in programs. The donated items that YPN receives go to the shop. Some of those donated items may include baby clothing, baby furniture and personal care products. This opportunity is available on Monday-Thursday from 8am-4pm, and Friday from 8am-12pm. Some of the volunteer roles and a great way to see you donation in action for the We Care Shop include:
- Accept and sort donations
- Help participants shop for items
- Assist participants with checkout
Ready to Read
Ready to Read is an initiative to help improve literacy skills in children 0-5 and educate parents on the skills necessary to make their children efficient in literacy and improve kindergarten readiness. This program runs during the school year from 5:30-7:30pm on pre-determined weeknights. Some of the volunteer roles for Ready to Read include:
- Serve the evening meal
- Lead a family in either infant, toddler, or preschool literacy skills
- Provide on-site childcare as needed for older children
We are excited to announce that we have partnered with the Department of Human Services to help facilitate some new volunteer opportunities. Please see the options below and contact Ally if you are interested in volunteering for any of these opportunities.
- Clerical. This position includes:
- Assembling application and intake paperwork
- Making copies of forms and assisting staff with clerical duties
- Purging outdated files
- Mail running
How to become a YPN volunteer:
To be eligible to become a YPN volunteer, an individual must be 16 years or older to volunteer unsupervised or 10-15 years old to volunteer with guardian supervision and complete all necessary paperwork.
- Please complete our Volunteer Application by printing and return by mail/walk-in.
- Follow link to our Online Volunteer Application.
- Complete a background check in accordance to the Code of Iowa
- Agree to uphold the confidentiality of our participants
- Commit to an established amount of time
- Have a genuine interest in Young Parents Network and our mission
Join the YPN team!
To receive more information on becoming a YPN volunteer or a specific YPN volunteer opportunity, please contact Support Services Coordinator Ally. Email Ally or call 319.364.8909.